Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Considering how zoned out some of its users look I'd guess it actually puts them at a disadvantage. Though van guy seemed to snap out his haze pretty quick so they must be able to shake off the worst effects under the right circumstances (you'd think falling from a 200 storey building would be one of those).

Hoagy

I was approaching the film with the idea that reflexes of slo-mo users would be vastly quickened. This would have certainly tested Mega-city one's toughest lawman.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Stan on 28 January, 2013, 08:45:19 AM
Considering how zoned out some of its users look I'd guess it actually puts them at a disadvantage. Though van guy seemed to snap out his haze pretty quick so they must be able to shake off the worst effects under the right circumstances (you'd think falling from a 200 storey building would be one of those).
I think it's more to do with dosage. The guy in the van and the kids in the apartment took less than Mama took, so they snapped out of it sooner (though still not soon enough in the kids case).

radiator

Yeah I expect Mama would have hit those guys with a massive dose to prolong their agony.

Something that stuck with me from the leaked script was the notion of those poor buggers being skinned alive while on Slo Mo, which so absolutely horrific as to be unimaginable. In the film it seemed to be only before they were tossed over the side, which is a lot less harsh.

radiator

Yep, it's true.

As I understand it, Dredd composer Paul Leonard Morgan created a piece of software called Paul, which slows down a chosen piece of music. The famous example of the software in use was a Bieber song, the clip of which went viral a couple of years ago. To generate the same sound, Leonard-Morgan recorded his own version of the Bieber song, then slowed it down, and it's this that piece of music appears in the finished film.

JOE SOAP

It's true.

Bloodshed, black humour and a bigger body count than Saving Private Ryan aside, there is a beauty and majesty to the film, a bleak poetry — especially evident in its balletic 3D design — that is accentuated by a remarkable meditative electronic score by composer Paul Leonard-Morgan.

Surprisingly, that score stems from an unlikely source: Justin Bieber!

"Geoff Barrow from Portishead is a Dredd fan and he and over the years he'd been putting together music he wrote and put it together as an album called Drokk.  Drokk is a swear word in the Dredd books. Anyway, when we were done shooting I showed Geoff an early cut of the film, and he pointed me towards this software he found that makes music run 800 times slower, just like the "slo-mo" drug does to its victims in the movie. He sent me a link to a Justin Bieber song slowed down 800 times and it became this stunning trippy choral music. The whole movie was temped to Justin Bieber, in fact. Paul recreated that Bieber music on his own and slowed it down 800 times and we use that in the movie."

http://metronews.ca/scene/374978/dredd-3d-might-make-you-a-belieber/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QspuCt1FM9M

COMMANDO FORCES

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :o :'(

JOE SOAP

Tight black leathers, gay bars, Justin Bieber. How could you've been no naive, John?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 January, 2013, 04:59:22 PM

Tight black leathers, gay bars, Justin Bieber. How could you've been no naive, John?
:lol:

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 January, 2013, 04:56:40 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :o :'(

Seconded.

Dark Jimbo

Bieber or not, the soundtrack continues to be my absolute favourite thing about the film. It's just so right. I'm not really one for listening to soundtracks in their own right, but Dredd got a lot of play in the last few months of 2012.
@jamesfeistdraws

Steve Green

Bieber in slo-mo while being thrown off a building... that's harsh even for Dredd.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 28 January, 2013, 05:34:31 PM
Bieber in slo-mo while being thrown off a building... that's harsh even for Dredd.

Bieber given slo-mo while being thrown off a building, however...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

strangelysaucy

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 January, 2013, 06:02:30 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 28 January, 2013, 05:34:31 PM

Bieber given slo-mo while being thrown off a building, however...

Cheers

Jim

seconded!
props, scribbles and fiddle-aboutery - https://www.facebook.com/Strangelysaucy