Main Menu

My new 10 minute portrait blog

Started by mygrimmbrother, 27 November, 2011, 07:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygrimmbrother

From the blurb which I wrote:

'This blog will run for one whole year, and in that time I'll post a single portrait every day. Each one of these will be drawn in 10 minutes or less (I use the alarm on my phone - as soon as it beeps I stop, press snooze and move on to another one).

10 minutes, that's it. In that time I'll try to achieve two things: A quality drawing and a good likeness. I can't always guarantee either but I'll be striving for both!

I've decided to do this blog for a number of reasons: to speed up my drawing, to force myself to adopt a looser style, to hone my skills, and to have a chance to experiment with different methods.

As for the subjects, some have been chosen becuase they've had an impact on my life, some simply because they have very drawable faces, some because of their historical/political/philosophical/artistic significance. I make no apologies for the choice of subjects, and their views are not necessarily my own.

If anyone has any requests, please feel free to leave comments with your suggestions - 365 is a lot of portraits and I'm sure my mind will go blank at times!

These drawing are all for sale, priced at £5 each or 3 for £10 (including postage). Please note each one is 12cm x 9 cm. If you would like to buy any, feel free to drop me an email at mygrimmbrother@gmail.com'

Feel free to let me know what you think guys, I'm quite excited about this.

mygrimmbrother

locustsofdeath!

Followed, Mr. Soffe.

I've always enjoyed your work (but you already know that), so to see more of it is quite the thrill!

DoomBot

Wow, that's one tough challenge you set yourself. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Good luck

mygrimmbrother

Locust, cheers dude, appreciated.

Doombot - I know! Should be fun though.

Was suffering from a bit of creative burnout at the end of the summer, then I had a whole slew of technical problems (PC died, no money to replace at the moment, internet went down inexplicably for about 6 weeks), and because of the lack of output I felt like I was slipping off the radar so to speak. This idea came about because all I needed was a pencil and a scanner, plus drawing faces is my most favourite thing ever.

mygrimmbrother

Colin YNWA

Uh Darwin and Cope you are picking some of my favourite victorians. The story of Cope's 'Bone Wars' with Marsh make for fascinating reading.

mygrimmbrother

Cheers Colin, yeah it was interesting wasn't it? We had our own version of the Bone Wars here too, fought between Richard Owen (coming up in a few days) and Gideon Mantell (couldn't find photo reference).

Anyway, today I have for you one Madame Blavatsky, weirdo theosophist: http://10minuteportraits.blogspot.com/2011/12/5-notable-victorians-helena-blavatsky.html

SpetsnaZ99

You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

mygrimmbrother

SpetsnaZ99

Ok, if we have to stick with the theme of notable victorians would you please consider Henry Cole (he invented the christmas card), if you are ok with moving off current topic would you please consider John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten Ex Pistol)

Thank you
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

mygrimmbrother

Cool, I'll add him to the list. The theme of Notable VIctorians will go on for a few more days, then it'll be Icons of the Silver Screen. After that, there'll be things like artists, writers, philosophers, musicians, notable folk of WWI & WWII, suicides, assassins

Thanks for the suggestion SpetsnaZ, if anyone has anymore feel free to post them here.

Today it's the turn of Nikola Tesla: http://10minuteportraits.blogspot.com/2011/12/7-notable-victorians-nikola-tesla.html

SpetsnaZ99

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 03 December, 2011, 02:34:23 PM

Today it's the turn of Nikola Tesla: http://10minuteportraits.blogspot.com/2011/12/7-notable-victorians-nikola-tesla.html

Nikola Tesla. The guy who was laughed at when he said the earth could be a giant battery... but now people are taking the idea seriously.