Main Menu

MK1 Lawgiver now for sale

Started by Steve Green, 23 August, 2013, 09:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Okay, enough fooling around!  The Lawgiver Mk1 is superb and has virtually sold me on a helmet.

Just so you Squaxx can imagine how big it is really:

It's as long as the first 18 Case Files.  (Please ignore the bendy shelf; guests shouldn't be so rude as to comment on such things.)

It's practically the same width as an old-school prog, margin to margin.

(Good to see that our former PM was actively involved in writing for Tharg!

In fact, dimension-wise it makes me think that it's obviously been designed by someone who loves the B format editions!

Rating - 3/6.  No, hang on a minute, that's the ammo selector.  I meant 10/10.  Definitely an iconic piece, and (too my mind) much more symbolic of Dredd than the Mk II which has a more generic SF look to it.  It's a weighty sucker as well.  I wonder what it would feel like walking around with this in your boot holster!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

TordelBack

If that ain't Post of the Year...

Frank

Top work, Dash. If you've never read The Wasp Factory, I think you should; you'll find a soul mate in the main character's dad. On a related note, have you noticed how the number 23 keeps cropping up everywhere?

Dash Decent

Hi Sauchie, love all your posts.  I had a mate who was a mad-keen '23' spotter.  He wasn't on about the Illuminati or anything, he just enjoyed the way it's one of those default numbers people use all the time, e.g. 23 Railway Cuttings.

What I was trying to do with the last post was give everyone a clear idea of how big this sucker is by comparing it to stuff we've all got, like the Case Files and progs.  I could have used a ruler of course, but that wouldn't have been any fun!  I didn't manage to find anything 2000AD-ish of the same height, so ran with the B formats.  They're a bit too tall but demonstrate the length perfectly.

Like the Minty/Planet Replica uniforms this prop demonstrates that the designs in the comic don't actually look too silly when realised.  It's a great looking gun and not the prissy pea-shooter thing we sometimes saw in the prog.

I'm not sure about The Wasp Factory reference, but if you've discovered someone has been secretly pumping you full of gender-altering chemicals then let me assure you I have an alibi and those fingerprints were planted by the real culprit in an attempt to throw suspicion elsewhere.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

JOE SOAP

Dash Decent

If that's how you see it Joe, then each to their own.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Frank

Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 October, 2013, 12:01:31 PM
What I was trying to do with the last post was give everyone a clear idea of how big this sucker is by comparing it to stuff we've all got, like the Case Files and progs.  I could have used a ruler of course, but that wouldn't have been any fun!  I didn't manage to find anything 2000AD-ish of the same height, so ran with the B formats.  They're a bit too tall but demonstrate the length perfectly.

I loved your post as much as the sight of your groaning book shelves, Dash. I completely appreciate the object-added-for-scale nature of your enterprise, but I do think you've inadvertently stumbled upon an interesting example of the cosmic harmony which orders the universe. Cheers, neebs.

Spikes

Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 October, 2013, 04:33:59 AM

You can almost hear the groaning and creaking from here - Most excellent in every way!

And the MK1 replica is a genuine thing of beauty  :thumbsup:

Dash Decent

Those shelves are a nuisance.  The little metal supports holding them up have a cylinder at the end that slots into a groove in the underside of the shelf.  You can't flip the shelf over to allow the book-weight to press the curve back down again because there's nowhere for the cylinder to sit.  I could get some standard pegs to use and put up with the holes being on display for a bit, I suppose.

I find it's a problem with most of these cheap kind of bookcases.  You see them advertised in the Ikea or Officeworks catalogue, with a picture showing the shelves untroubled by a whole six books and a flower vase.  It's a bookshelf!  Design it to hold some books!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

One last thought.  The Lawgiver box uses the proper Dredd logo and replicates the font for the 'Lawgiver Mk 1' tag.  The Lawgiver schematic in the 1981 Annual also uses Ol' Stoney Font, and it's interesting to compare the differences and similarities between the two.

It's clear that no one has even officially come up with a full character set, but has anyone ever attempted to do an unofficial version of Ol' Stoney Font?

I think I prefer the version used in the Annual (e.g. the W), but for how long was 'Lawgiver' spelled with a hyphen?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Since we're talking Lawgivers - or is it just me? - one related thought.  I've always thought the reason why Judges shout out "Hi-Ex!", "Armour-piercing!" and so on is that rather than being a voice control thing it's actually an OH&S type obligation, a bit like shouting "Fire in the hole!".  It may be a general warning or perhaps just aimed at Judges.  After all, if you're about to let off a heat seeker you don't want the fellow Judge on your right to move into position two steps ahead of you.  For the usual bureaucratic reasons it could extend to unsheathing your "BOOT KNIFE!", firing the Cyclops laser and whatever else.  And, because you never know who might be in the area, coupled with rigid indoctrination of the practice, it means Judges have a tendency to yell the warnings out even if they seem to be by themselves. 
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Frank

I think our own Jim Campbell developed a font based on Jan Shephard's iconic Judge Dredd logo.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sauchie on 20 October, 2013, 09:50:54 AM
I think our own Jim Campbell developed a font based on Jan Shephard's iconic Judge Dredd logo.

Not I! However, the indefatigable Mike Carroll did.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dash Decent

Cheers guys!  I wonder if that's what PR used to do up the Lawgiver box.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Steve Green

I think so...

Anyway, here's a picture of the real original.