Main Menu

Charley's War overview.

Started by maryanddavid, 15 April, 2014, 10:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

I though there was a Charley's War thread somewhere, O for a search function.
Might be of interest, http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2014/comics-charleys-war-in-ten-volumes-a-reflection-by-james-bacon/

Colin YNWA

That's a great article about a wonderful series. So pleased that its found its way back into print and my ten hardcovers are among my most treasured comics.

Thanks for the heads up.

vark

maryanddavid

I'd presume its a massive hardcover, the page count wouldn't work well as softback. It a good price for either edition, much better than the single collections.

Colin YNWA

I wonder if they have improved the reproduction on the earlier volumes. I think (Vark?) this has been done for the French volumes so in theory the work has been done? Its the only thing that would tempt me as I love my single volumes.

Hawkmumbler

I'll be getting teo omnibises as i've been thinking of reasing Charleys War.

oshii

Its definitely worth re-reading.  I've been reading it with my 7year old son as his school has been doing some bits on the anniversary of WW1, and its every bit as good as I remember.  If anything Colquhoun's art looks even better with time.  That man was a genius.

vark

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 May, 2014, 06:43:14 AM
I wonder if they have improved the reproduction on the earlier volumes. I think (Vark?) this has been done for the French volumes so in theory the work has been done? Its the only thing that would tempt me as I love my single volumes.
Good question and I don't have the response yet (but soon I hope). The other thing that surprise me is I am currently looking at the 2004 reprints from the megazine and the source material used there seems much more cleaner (almost perfect) than the Titan deluxe reprint, but I will have to compare to be sure.

ZenArcade

Got quite a lot on my Megazine megaread. Brought back such memories from reading this when I was wee in the late 70's. It was like nothing I'd seen before and had a lasting impression on me. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

vark

Received the omnibus today. It's clearly not a 'best of' as it collects the first 86 strips of the saga. Looks like the first volume of a complete saga to me.
Good news is they have used the same material source than the French edition so the reproduction quality is of course enhanced from the previous Titan deluxe collection. Although it seems that they will not re-coloured Battle Weekly coloured pages but only publish them in cleaned B&W.
I have upload some scans here to compare the two Titan editions: http://www.thearchdeviant.org/2014/08/charleys-war-boy-soldier-in-great-war.html

Colin YNWA

Arh man that leaves me a decision and a half. Smaller ha! no chance I'm getting it... but then look at those tidied pages! That looks lovely...

... what to do, what to do...

Thanks very much for the info and linkie and work Vark you are a scholar and a gentleman.

vark

Hawkmumbler

Smaller? The dimensions have been reduced? Damn, might get the originals now.

vark

slightly reduced from the deluxe collection.

J.Smith

Are they still doing the two slipcase editions? Notice that the previous link for it is no longer working.