Main Menu

You Can Take Away My Geek Card Because…

Started by Jim_Campbell, 21 October, 2015, 08:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

...I liked:

John Carter. An only-slightly muddled plot and lack of focus on the part of the villains doesn't detract from the fact that the film looks great and has a slew of great set-pieces. It's tremendous fun.

Tron: Legacy. Castigated for not being as good as Tron, but the thing is... Tron isn't actually very good. There's a film in your head which is amazing, but that's not the actual film. That's the film your imagination created as a result of seeing the original Tron and having all those amazing ideas ricochet around the inside of your head. But... the execution of those ideas in the actual movie can be quite dull. There's some great stuff in Tron: Legacy, which gets overlooked simply because it's not the most amazing movie ever.

Men In Black 3. Worth it for Josh Brolin's Tommy-Lee Jones impression alone.

Matrix: Reloaded. Despite some turgid connective tissue, this is a sequence of fantastic set-pieces, evidenced by the fact that no one ever mentions the chateau staircase fight, which would have been the centrepiece of any other movie.

The final series of Lost. I accepted going in that there was never going to be One Big Answer that would satisfy everyone, not least because people were still demanding answers to stuff that had already been explained (like the polar bears). Maybe there was potentially a better final episode, but so many long-planted plot seeds slammed back into that final series like meteors on elliptical orbits that I found getting to that final episode utterly exhilarating.

Anyone else want to stand up for a film or TV show the consensus says wasn't so good?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

Darren Stephens

I loved John Carter, too. Perfect family sci-fi shenanigans!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

The Adventurer

If liking Prometheus is a geek card revoking offense, you can have my card. Cause that movie is solid.

I think John Carter and Tron Legacy are actually well liked by people/nerds who gave them a chance. So aren't that big of a geek faux pas.

Reloaded and Revolutions are dogshit though. Sorry.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Adventurer on 21 October, 2015, 08:49:05 PM
Reloaded and Revolutions are dogshit though. Sorry.

Revolutions is the closest I've ever come to walking out of a movie and asking for my money back, which I mention only so you don't think I'm a Wachowski apologist...!

Cheers

Jim

JamesC

I liked John Carter and Tron: Legacy.

I also liked Sucker Punch. I thought it was great fun, fast paced and exciting.

TordelBack

I'll join you on John Carter, and stake a claim for Jurassic World. Despite a huge amount of silliness, it's full of great scenes, nice designs and fun characters - definitely too many characters, but almost all amusing. It's also quite conceptually fresh, despite accusations of effectively being a remake, and makes good use of its continuity.

My feelings on The Phantom Menace are a matter of tedious record.

Goaty

sheridan

How long before someone mentions a 1995 film which features clones, robots and the Statue of Liberty?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tordelback on 21 October, 2015, 08:56:09 PM
...and stake a claim for Jurassic World

Yep. Enjoyed the crap out of that. A definite amount of 'put your brain in neutral' required, but if you went in expecting a cerebral examination of the repercussions of cloning extinct species, you were setting yourself up for a disappointment!

QuoteMy feelings on The Phantom Menace are a matter of tedious record.

I almost added the fact that I think Attack of the Clones is comfortably the best of the prequels and perilously close to being an acceptable movie to my original list.

Cheers!

Jim

JamesC

I liked the new Robocop too.
No, it wasn't as good as the original (and was never likely to be) but it was a good film in its own right. Some of the design was really good and Michael Keaton is always good value.

I'm not sure what the consensus is but people usually seem to have liked the old Battlestar Galactica series but are ambivalent towards Buck Rogers.
I think Buck Rogers in the 25th Century is far, far better. It's so much fun and the 2 parter where Buck disguises himself as the criminal Rafael Argus is one of my favourite things on TV ever (and 'Vegas in Space', 'Space Vampire' and 'Space Rockers').

von Boom

I liked Tron: Legacy and I've come to appreciate John Carter once I got over my desire for more accuracy.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 21 October, 2015, 09:04:58 PM
I'm not sure what the consensus is but people usually seem to have liked the old Battlestar Galactica series but are ambivalent towards Buck Rogers.
I think Buck Rogers in the 25th Century is far, far better.

I disliked the original Battlestar Galactica as a child and loved Buck Rogers. That may have been the odd stirrings Wilma Deering evoked in the vaguely-pubescent me, however.

While we're bucking the geek consensus, I'll go on record as saying that the new BSG was horseshit from start to finish, and that's saying something given that I'll watch Edward James Olmos in almost anything.

Cheers!

Jim

Citi-Def_Joe

CrazyFoxMachine

Ang Lee's Hulk.

I will fight for that movie until my dying day. YES it was a long-winded off-topic ramble of a turgid psychodrama rather than the balls-out radioactive fest that it was marketed as but it was brilliantly weird and had the Hulk fighting NICK NOLTE BUT MADE OF LIGHTNING.

I'll always love the odd "comic panel" editing, the still impressive ILM effects and the brilliant never-ending Hulk out that just keeps building.

Although... uh, don't mention the poodles :S