Main Menu

Prog 1960 The Good, The Bad, The Psychotic!

Started by Ghost MacRoth, 05 December, 2015, 11:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost MacRoth

Cover:  Colourful and eye catching.

Dredd:  Finishes up as expected, another superb display from Goddard, well penned by the Daddy.

Bad Company: Turning into a bit of a pantomime.

Dredd Advert: Proper got me excited.....mine is on order as well as the bike, can't wait!

Terror Tales:  Felt like an opening episode rather than a one off, quite enjoyable. 

Defoe: Strong episode to finish, but after dragging it's ass in previous episodes I dunno if it's quite enough.  But overall, I've enjoyed Defoe's tales, with this outing being the only on e I've had issue with, and the issue is a small one for sure.

Good prog overall, now, time to relive Judgement day in the mega collection!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Colin YNWA

Just when you think you know where your vote will go for cover of the year along comes the cover to 1960. Its really quite stunning.

Inside is almost a good too... in fact as good... maybe even better... Typically I'm a front to back reader but of late the Prog has been so good that I've been going straight to the finishing story desperate to see the conclusion thats been built to. Did this for Sinister Dexter a couple of weeks ago, Brass Sun last week and this week Bad Company with the added bonus of discovering its not quite over and will make its final appearance (I assume) in the end of year Prog, making a rather nice bridge I feel. As for this week its quite brilliant again, for weeks people seemed to bemoan the slow build of mystery and intrigue, I got nervous for a while too, but was enjoying the ride, over the last 4 weeks we've started to build the pay off and its been a superbly crafted tale. This week placing a final turn and leaving one final mystery to solve. Quite brilliant... but is it thrill of the week?

Dredd also solves its mystery... well it wasn't really a mystery was it, until in one quite supremely crafted page Wagner had me dangling, I was there mouth open thinking surely not, hold on is he really going to do that. Then turn the page and the reveal I'd expected all along was there, but he fair had me for a moment there. A true example of the master at his work. So is that thrill of the week...

The only thing I say for sure of is that Defoe wasn't thrill of the week, but that's not to say it wasn't bloody good 'cos it was. By far the best Defoe story to date gets a very satisfactory conclusion. I bloody loved it. One thing do we know what Leigh Gallagher is moving onto? Seems to make quite the thing of the fact this is his last Defoe?

The rest is filled by another quite brilliant one off by David Baillie, who quite superbly assisted by Paul Marshal knocks it out the park again with a creepy and wonderful Terror Tale. Please Tharg I know he's got attention over the pond but get him to give us a  long form series, I'd love to see him crank one out just for us. This could very well be thrill of the week.

So when you have a week when the only non-contenter for thrill of the week is bloody fantastic you know you have a Prog that in normal circumstances would be hard to top. Good job then that next week we have the 100 end of year Prog cos otherwise it'd stand no chance against a Prog this good.

Eamonn Clarke

I might have gone with "Rainbow Warrriors" myself, although I would have probably Bungled it.

I, Cosh

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 05 December, 2015, 11:46:10 AMI might have gone with "Rainbow Warrriors" myself, although I would have probably Bungled it.
By George, that would've been terrible. Lovely bit of McCarthy here.
We never really die.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: The Cosh on 05 December, 2015, 11:55:40 AM
Quote from: eamonn1961 on 05 December, 2015, 11:46:10 AMI might have gone with "Rainbow Warrriors" myself, although I would have probably Bungled it.
By George, that would've been terrible. Lovely bit of McCarthy here.
Is it true the Xmas Prog features the return of Zippy Couriers?
Full house!

As you were, apologies for threadjacking  ;)

Hawkmumbler

'Kin hell! As much as I'm loving Dream Gang at Dark Horse I long for a new Brenden McCarthy strip in the tooth, Zaucer of Zilk was yonks ago!

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 December, 2015, 12:33:46 PM
'Kin hell! As much as I'm loving Dream Gang at Dark Horse I long for a new Brenden McCarthy strip in the tooth, Zaucer of Zilk was yonks ago!

We luv U Zaucer!

Yeah, count me in.

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 December, 2015, 11:23:58 AM

Dredd also solves its mystery...

But for me leaves another.  What is going on with Hershey?  Again she's admitting that she's ballsed up and should have listened to Dredd.  How many more times is this going to happen?  Of all the Chief Judges I'm beginning to think that hers is the poorest portrayal. 

Richard

That was a great ending to the Dredd story. Deftly done.

glassstanley

Cracking prog this week. It's a shame that Gallagher is leaving Defoe - I've loved his work over the last 6 books. Dredd tied things up nicely and a grim little Terror Tale.

Only mis-step for me is Bad Company. The comedy appearance of the mayor wasn't true to the way Bad Company was presented in the past and it took me right back to when Viz's Fat Slags co-starred in Robo-Hunter. Can't help thinking that this will all have been a dream, or Milligan has decided to throw continuity to the wind. Shame, as with the talent behind it it should have been a great strip. Nice cover, though.

Darren Stephens

That covers a real beauty. Would dearly love to see some more Zaucer of Zilk, or, well, absolutely anything drawn by McCarthy.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Eamonn Clarke

Cracking cover which would have the twelve year old me picking that off the racks. Still like my tag line but I'm no Tharg by a very long chalk.

Dredd wraps up the mystery but the chief judge's stance is weird. If she really thinks that Dredd beat an unarmed man to death shouldn't she be calling in SJS Gerhart genisys (or whatever version he's on now)?

Defoe also concludes and Leigh Gallagher bows out with a fine last chapter. Presumably they're talking to a new artist about putting Defoe in a gimp mask and barbed wire trimmings as he marshals his forces to hunt down some Pseudo heroes.

Didn't really read the other two.

Remember this time last year when we getting all excited about Dark Justice? Ah bisto, those were the days.

Ghost MacRoth

I don't think she did believe he beat the guy to death.  She was more talking about the way he got the guy out of cover, that was the 'serious misjudgement' (or however it was phrased) not the beating!  Think that was just Wagner spinning us on....as mentioned already, it was a point that was designed to fool you right to the last second, and did so beautifully.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Geoff

Great cover - would be great to have McCarthy back in the prog.. would a Dredd be too much to ask?

Dredd was good, even though the pay off was as expected but the scene with Hershey totally throws you.

Really liked the Terror Tale, lots in there and packed a real punch.

Bad company had a rather interesting turn  but too little too late for me. Agree Boris was out of place.

Never been that into Defoe but the art is just wonderful.

All round  solid prog. Looking forward to my Kennedy wrap around for Christmas.

Colin YNWA

For me the appearance of Boris kinda makes sense. This series has dealt with the realities behind war. The damage to the troops after (which is theme through out), perspective on the enemy and the reason they start being shrouded. It deals with wars other realities, so therefore adding more direct satire, based more directly in todays world just hammers this home a little further.