Main Menu

Prog 1963: Bugsplat

Started by Tjm86, 09 January, 2016, 02:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Nice cover by Ryan Brown with a real Mad Max vibe to it.

Judge Dredd kicks of Ghosts nicely.  Sexton's art is quality with a bit of a Brian Talbot feel to it in places.  Sets up the story nicely.  Caroll does what he does best, focusing on the larger Dredd world.  The last page doesn't really hold any major surprises but this looks like a good one. 

Kingdom kicks ass as always.  Page after page of relentless, overwhelming action. As always Abnett and Elson deliver.

The Order probably benefits from Burns' art.  Enjoyable but since I've not been able to buy into it completely I'm still not clicking with it completely.

ABC Warriors is another one that I'm struggling with although I'm glad Langley has shifted away from painted art. I'm finding his current style much easier to cope with in terms of following the story.  As with the Order it may fit together better as the story progresses but personally I'm still waiting for it to really click.

Strontium Dog is working much better for me now. The Top Tips for the Traveller notes are a cracking read alongside what is a largely scene setting episode.   The quote of the prog has to be:  "Children just be gagged or rendered chemically mute while on planet."   :lol:

Overall for me it was a good solid prog.  How was it for you dear?

Eamonn Clarke

Another terrific cover by Ryan Brown

Judge Dredd: Ghosts part 1. A nice set-up by Michael Carroll although I'm a bit worried by yet another bunch of rogue Judges out to get JD. Justice department seems rife with them.

Kingdom. Frenetic action continues as the pack head underground.

The Order. I think I'm back up to speed and this is an enjoyable episode.

ABC Warriors. Some nice Meh-Quake madness and a song to boot.

Strontium Dog: The plot thickens nicely.

A pretty good Prog all round and the fun start to 16 continues

Eamonn Clarke

Or Mek-Quake even. The Meh-Quake model was much less impressive

Darren Stephens

Mark Sextons not a name I'm familiar with. His arts brilliant! :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Ghost MacRoth

Cover:  A huge fan of Ryan's work, and technically this is nice....but I'm not liking it.  Think he's got a far too human look going on for Gene.

Dredd:  Mmm....a bit more secret justice dept intake programs?  Some organ legging at the Academy??  Whatever it is, I look forward to finding out.  Sexton.....did he used to do some Indigo Prime?  I recall the name and stye, but not exactly what he did.  Nice stuff though, as is (to this point) Caroll's writing.

Kingdom: They found a vault??  Lol!  If Gene gets a wrist mounted computer down there....we'll know Abnett is a Fallout fan! Usual high standard of art from Elson.

The Order:  Continues nicely, and looks like we're going all steampunk.

Ro-Busters: It's fluff.....but enjoyable enough fluff to be fair.  I notice a wee bit of digital sneaking in there.....guess that's fair enough as long as he doesn't go full blown ostriches on us again.

Strontium Dog:  Continues the set up nicely.  Hoping that this is a decent length of a run, as all too often we get a nice build up, a complex middle, and a wham-bam one episode finish (not specifically SD, but it has suffered this too IMO).  Could do with a nice epic length SD tale from Wagner (or Grant...or both!) and Carlos.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 09 January, 2016, 05:14:05 PM
  Sexton.....did he used to do some Indigo Prime?  I recall the name and stye, but not exactly what he did. 

According to Tharg in Nerve Centre its his debut for the Galaxies Greatest, he did storyborad Mad Max though! And did the comics for Vertigo so you might have seen him there?

As for the cover I get why people love it, but for me that's just not Gene.

I'm liking the current line-up but there is a slight downturn this week. Starts with a great Dredd. Mike Carroll back on top form and that art is just lovely. Bit of the Chris Weston about it, love the panel on the second page with Dredd just looming at the door. 

Kingdom does what Kingdom does and does so very well. Its just perfect 2000ad.

The Order can't live up to last weeks reveal, but DAMN does it try its just such a great series and I can't wait for this to all tie together, you can kinda see where its heading but damn its going to be such fun getting there.

Ro-Busters
should be great but did that last scene really take 4 pages, felt a little padded and indulgent.

Strontium Dog builds very steadily and you think this is going to turn into something pretty great, but its plotting it plot and will make us earn our thrills when its ready.

Pretty fine Prog, maybe not quite as supreme as last time.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 January, 2016, 08:08:15 PM
Bit of the Chris Weston about it

Weston, Sexton....aha!  Also, as you rightly say, the style is similar..... I can see how I've got cunfoozed there. :D 
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Geoff

Mark Sexton's art on Dredd is superb. Like Colin, love that panel on p2. For his first printed Dredd panel he's really nailed it. More Sexton please Tharg!

COMMANDO FORCES

He did some of the Mad Max comics, as well as a brilliant Dredd cover for IDW. That one image made me hope that he'd get a gig on Dredd in the Prog.

Buttonman

Cracking issue for me. That Dredd was excellent with so much sinister promise!

Proudhuff

Nerve Centre: the return of Anderson and Halo Jones ? why TMO you spoil us!

A Prog of two halves for me. Dredd: the Car-Roll droid does it again, cracking tale hopefully linking up to previous tales in the way only he does. Loverly. M Ivory Block made me chortle.

Gene dog: full on action in a way that keeps on giving , brill.

The order: hmmm ticking a whole load of boxes but that hair distracts me  ::)

Rodgers and Hammerstein: not hitting the right notes for me.

Stronty Dug: enjoying the caper and the comments, but a bit lacklustre compared with the first half of the prog.

DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Cover:  A huge fan of Ryan's work, and technically this is nice....but I'm not liking it.  Think he's got a far too human look going on for Gene.
Agree with this. The teeth need to be more ... canine.
We never really die.

Dark Jimbo

Quickly flicking through Dredd prior to actually reading it, my eyes registered the caption 'All Haley ever wanted to be was a Judge' and I immediately thought 'Michael Caroll.' He's definately got certain authorial tics by this point, and stories about children is one of them. It's going to be interesting to see if he can navigate this plot of what seems like a well-worn 'shady dealings in Justice Department' without it feeling old hat. As said already, the art is gorgeous! More from him in future, please.

Kingdom is more balls-to-the-wall action, which doesn't give much ammunition for a particularly in-depth review. Elson's still an absolute star!

The Order confirms what we suspected last week, and gives us our concrete link to the last series (not that it needed one). No idea what to make of that ending - but that's part of the unique lunatic charm of this series!

I don't really understand the coyness of Quartz simply referring to his underling as 'Miss' in ABC Warriors - is she Miss Marylin, or not? And why does it matter either way? She ought to have a name one way or another. Elsewhere we get some prime Mek-Quake action, which is always a plus - but when-oh-when are we going to see more of Doctor Feeley Good?! What is honestly the point of a Ro-Busters flashback if we don't see any of the finest scene-stealer since the Big-Job merchant himself?

Still loving the 'caper' of Strontium Dog. Just a fun, fun strip. (Ezquerra makes a fairly major goof this week, though, when he draws Kid Knee without the eye patch for a close-up!)
@jamesfeistdraws

jacob g

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 January, 2016, 08:08:15 PM
  Sexton.....did he used to do some Indigo Prime?  I recall the name and stye, but not exactly what he did. 

According to Tharg in Nerve Centre its his debut for the Galaxies Greatest, he did storyborad Mad Max though! And did the comics for Vertigo so you might have seen him there?

And he also put nice little Dredd easter egg there:

margaritas ante porcos

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 January, 2016, 10:43:57 AM
Nerve Centre: the return of Anderson and Halo Jones ? why TMO you spoil us!

Halo Jones? Not really
Lock up your spoons!