Main Menu

Prog 1966 - The Great Brain Robbery

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 January, 2016, 11:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Alas regardless of what others may have wanted this is the tag line for this week's Prog. Damned fine Prog it is too. When the line up is this strong as I wittered last week its the tiny margins that make the difference and here they are almost all positive.

Dredd some how manages to get better, with Mike Carroll revealing a plot from the Justice Departments past quite brilliantly and Mark Sexton continues to be an art god.

Kingdom is a slight disappointment... well its not, its just not the Mad Maxesque chase home I was expecting as Dan Abnett decides to cut straight to the point and starts all out bloody war. The scale of which is quite exquisitly presented in a double page splash from Richard Elson.

Ro-Buster is in much better form and The Order is just plain superb, a fantastically crafted little number that builds things in a way I wasn't expecting. The caper continues a pace in Strontium Dog too and with Savage promises for the future overall a quite fantastic Prog. Keep it up Tharg, keep it up.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Nicely reminiscent of old scjhool covers.  Like it a lot.

Dredd:  So it sorta IS a internal Judgey sorta thing then!  Kinda like Judd but without the religious aspect I suppose.  I say it week after week, but it bears repeating.  The art is feckin' brilliant.  Nice suprise at the end!

Kingdom:  Excellent stuff, simple, and to the point. 

Ro-Busters: Still nice to look at, still tinfoil hattery of the highest order.

The Order: Wait...I'm confused...I understood this weeks episode!!!  Great stuff again here.

Strontium Dog:  And that higher gear I hoped for looks to be engaged. Should be a good one!  Although I'm not sure what's the biggest surprise...someone nicked the brain, ar Middenface grew back his arm on the first page! ;)

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Skullmo

I'm enjoying the prog at the moment. A solid 8!

Cover: Really like this, it has a bit of action and is not just a big head.

Dredd:  It's good, but it feels like the Judda again. And I am still smarting from the shootout where Dredd was left nearly dead and then he suddenly recovered. The art is lovely but once again we have that 'easter egg' where the old Judge suits are depicted in the retro style. I am of the opinion that the judge outfit has not had an upgrade, it's just the way different artists have drawn it.

Kingdom:  This is a great series, even an episode where not much happens is really good.

Ro-Busters: I find this hilarious, all of the conspiracy stuff makes me laugh.  The art is gorgeous.

The Order: I stopped reading thsi last week as I was lost, I will read the whole thing when it's complete.

Strontium Dog:  Best thing in the prog. I am sure the mystery of the returning arm will be explained :P
It's a joke. I was joking.

TordelBack

Quote from: Skullmo on 31 January, 2016, 12:03:21 PM
And I am still smarting from the shootout where Dredd was left nearly dead and then he suddenly recovered.

Didn't he spend the entirity of the last episode encased in a progressive series of futuristic medical apparatus while the investigation went on around him?

dweezil2

Ro-Busters: I find this hilarious, all of the conspiracy stuff makes me laugh.  The art is gorgeous.

Completely agree, I find the conspiracy theory subtext equally hilarious and it proves uncle Pat hasn't lost his mojo one iota!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Skullmo

Quote from: Tordelback on 31 January, 2016, 01:46:06 PM
And I am still smarting from the shootout where Dredd was left nearly dead and then he suddenly recovered.

Didn't he spend the entirity of the last episode encased in a progressive series of futuristic medical apparatus while the investigation went on around him?

Yes, because it's the future and and all wounds are healed except no other judge can have that future healing equipment. We will kill all the other judges, but dredd, the best judge, we will just shoot him and leave him to die, not even realising they have the futuristic healing things.

TordelBack

Quote from: Skullmo on 31 January, 2016, 02:31:10 PM

Yes, because it's the future and and all wounds are healed except no other judge can have that future healing equipment. We will kill all the other judges, but dredd, the best judge, we will just shoot him and leave him to die, not even realising they have the futuristic healing things.

Yup, I did think 'Grayden's' actions in Part 2 were daft: I know he's a dangerous bugger to approach without a weapon, but considering the risk she just took to kill him in the first place, I can't see why she doesn't even try to finish him off. But that aside, I thought the healing process was well handled.

Skullmo

Quote from: Tordelback on 31 January, 2016, 02:40:00 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 31 January, 2016, 02:31:10 PM

Yup, I did think 'Grayden's' actions in Part 2 were daft: I know he's a dangerous bugger to approach without a weapon, but considering the risk she just took to kill him in the first place, I can't see why she doesn't even try to finish him off. But that aside, I thought the healing process was well handled.

Taken individually they are fine, it's all a bit James Bond though. Dredd is clearly not going to die in a non-Wagner story, having this peril just seems unnecessary to me - the story could have worked fine without it.

Steve Green

Strontium Dog:  Best thing in the prog. I am sure the mystery of the returning arm will be explained :P

Had a brand new arm fitted for the holiday, and one of those seagulls nicked it.

IndigoPrime

Cover: interesting take on Alpha, and some eye-catching colour and composition.

Dredd: I really like the shift between uniform styles. I think over 40 or so years we would have seen evolution in the kit and uniform, just like you do in current times. So to me it's great to see Sexton using both styles. It makes the historical aspects seem more authentic. I do very much hope to see more Sexton Dredd.

Kingdom: Echoing Colin, it would have been great to see an issue or two of Mad Max craziness, but there you go. Regardless, Kingdom's still one of my favourite things in 2000 AD. It does feel like we're heading towards something of an ending though.

Ro-Busters: Irks to some extent as Mills goes on yet another ret-con rampage combined with conspiracy-nut overload. I really like the original Starlord strips. This feels overblown.

Proudhuff

Cover: Do you think that strapline is why Mr W wrote the whole thing?  :D

Nerve Centre: damage Report: Sons of Archie? How very dare you! Move straight onto Penny Dreadful now Sir!

Dredd: So it sorta IS a internal Judda sorta thing then!  and that final reveal made my day - punk!

Kingdom:  War what is it good for? Splashpages!! Say it again! War what is it good for? Splashpages!!

Ro-Busters:  Skippity-skip La-la-la-la can't hear you...

The Order:  Wait...I'm actually enjoying this, WTF! It nicely mad now.

Strontium Dog: Harmless fun for us kiddies. I think I preferred the dark, brooding Johnnie with the Iron in his soul. But a bit light relief can't be a bad thing can it?

Another cracking Prog.
DDT did a job on me

Geoff

Good prog! Like the cover image and strap line but a bit digital and 'shiny' for my taste.

Small gripe though, agree with Skullmo  a solid 8 of a prog, the Order's making more sense to me now, enjoying Kingdom - I do like a DPS. SD has got some pace going too.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 01 February, 2016, 11:50:56 AM

Kingdom:  War what is it good for? Splashpages!! Say it again! War what is it good for? Splashpages!!

And the award goes to PROUDHUFF for his Prog 1966 Kingdom review 'After Edwin Starr'.

Hawkmumbler

Not finished the prog yet but want to point two really rather brilliant things about Sextins art.

One, he managed to brilliantly differentiate the early judge uniforms with particular emphasis on the smaller, rounder shoulder pads. Brilliant attention to detail. Second, Hershey actualy looks her age for once! At this point she must be pushing 60 so to see a few wrinkles in their is brilliant as a detail many artists overlook.