Main Menu

Strontium Dog - Question

Started by Rogue Judge, 07 August, 2016, 05:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Hello, again I'm new to 2000AD and just getting started. I have read lots of Dredd so far and am working at collecting all case files, Im at #11 so far and they have been amazing. I also collected Rogue Trooper Tales of Nu Earth and really enjoyed them too (gotta love that Dave Gibbons and Cam Kennedy art!).

My question: How is Strontium Dog? I like how it is collected in Case Files type format and the art looks great (Carlos Ezquerra). Are the Agency Files worth collecting and do they collect the complete story? The reading order looks a little confusing online so far (Is the final solution part of the Agency Files and does it end there?) Also, is this is the same universe as Judge Dredd?

I just remember reading a colored reprint ages ago where he captures Hitler I think..? I remember it being awesome haha I would like to know what you guys like about the character and if you have read the collections.

Sorry for all the questions! I have really appreciated how this community has been so helpful so far, thanks everyone!

The Adventurer

A) Yes, Strontium Dog is worth reading. One of the best 2000 AD has to offer.

B) The Final Solution is the 'final' Strontium Dog story of the original run under Wagner. Other writers of.. debatable.... quality would follow it up with Strontium Dogs for a while. Eventually Wager and Ezquerra would return with Strontium Dog: The Kreller Conspiracy. Which would kick off a series of flashback tales of the main character (ignoring the Strontium Dogs material). Until finally just continuing Strontium Dog where they left off at The Final Solution, with The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha.

So you're reading order should be..

Agency Files 1-4
Final Solution
Kreeler Conspiracy
Traitor to His Kind
Blood Moon
Life and Death of Johnny Alpha
Life and Death of Johnny Alpha - Dogs of War

Explore Strontium Dogs era at your leisure as a curiosity. Some of it's been reprinted with the Megazine.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Rogue Judge

Quote from: The Adventurer on 07 August, 2016, 05:49:57 AM
A) Yes, Strontium Dog is worth reading. One of the best 2000 AD has to offer.

B) The Final Solution is the 'final' Strontium Dog story of the original run under Wagner. Other writers of.. debatable.... quality would follow it up with Strontium Dogs for a while. Eventually Wager and Ezquerra would return with Strontium Dog: The Kreller Conspiracy. Which would kick off a series of flashback tales of the main character. Until finally just continuing Strontium Dog where they left off at The Final Solution with The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha.

So you're reading order should be..

Agency Files 1-4
Final Solution
Kreeler Conspiracy
Traitor to His Kind
Blood Moon
Life and Death of Johnny Alpha
Life and Death of Johnny Alpha - Dogs of War

Explore Strontium Dogs era at your leisure as a curiosity. Some of it's been reprinted with the Megazine.

Hi The Adventurer, thanks so much! What a thorough explanation, I will keep you reading order list for my collecting purposes. I'm definitely looking forward to reading these books. Ill track down a Agency File #1 soon!

The Adventurer

When I started reading 2000 AD back in 2005, this forum was an invaluable resource to wrapping my head around the shear volume of 2000 AD content, and how to get it.

Figure its worth passing some of that knowledge forward.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: The Adventurer on 07 August, 2016, 06:02:44 AM
When I started reading 2000 AD back in 2005, this forum was an invaluable resource to wrapping my head around the shear volume of 2000 AD content, and how to get it.

Figure its worth passing some of that knowledge forward.

Yeah 2000AD offers a catalog of so many different stories and characters it tough to know where to start. I live in Canada and have been reading comics for about 20 years but I have become disillusioned with American comic books. So far 2000AD has been a breath of fresh air and kept me reading. Do you have a personal favorite? Thanks again for the help, newbies like me appreciate your time!

The Adventurer

Nikolia Dante is essential reading IMO

Question, what are your views on digital comics? Rebellion has made a ton of effort to make their digital catalog vast and painless. A lot of this material would be a lot more accessible and affordable on digital platforms. Mostly because A) there's quite a bit that out-of-print, B) what isn't out of print might not be readily available in North America.

That being said, if you're really into print, and you happen to live on the same continent as I, I'm actually looking to sell off a good chunk of my 2000 AD print collection. I can put together a list if you're interested.

Rogue Judge

I'm old fashioned in that I don't like reading Digital comics. Its not the same as holding it in my hands and seeing it on the bookshelf or long-box. I have tried a few online comics by downloading the free content on the 2000AD app, but it just didnt do it for me.

I would be very interested in a list of books you would consider selling. If you have a list I'd gladly take a look through it. Are your in the States? Thanks again.

Colin YNWA

I'd agree Nikolai Dante is possibly the very best 2000ad has to offer. Trades can be a little patchy to get hold of in places alas so digital would be the way to go.

If not that then you could do a lot worse than Strontium Dog. If you fancy a new thrill that really captures the essence of the Prog I'd say go with Kingdom.

Magnetica

Essential 2000AD in my opinion:

Dredd (goes without saying)
Strontium Dog
Slaine (but only up to the end of the Horned God)
Nemesis the Warlock

When you have read that I would try:

ABC Warriors (Mek Files 1 only - average afterwards)
Zenith
Nikolai Dante
Sinister Dexter (might be hard as not all reprinted)
Early Robo Hunter
Early Ace Trucking

dweezil2

Halo Jones is essential reading.

Alan Moore and Ian Gibson at the peak of their storytelling skills!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IndigoPrime

I'll fling my hand in the air to add another YEP regarding Stronty Dog. That initial run — and especially the second and third books — contains some of my all-time-favourite 2000 AD. I've been less enamoured with the reboot, which doesn't entirely tie together that well (the Kreeler Conspiracy in particular sticking out like a sort thumb and feeling like part of a different universe), but it's still worth reading. I'd personally go for the earlier stuff first, though, if you can find the books. (The first is out of print, but you might find a copy knocking around the classifieds here or on eBay.)

Richard

Rogue Judge,
Also try get the series Judge Dredd: The Restricted Files, Jusge Anderson: The Complete Psi Files, and also the book Judge Dredd: America which has two stories that were left out of the Complete Case Files (don't ask).

Also there was a story called Glimmer Rats which was collected in a hardback graphic novel ten or 15 years ago. People on this message board tend to mostly recommend old 2000 AD stories, but that was a very good recent series.

Also try Button Man if you think you might be interested in a present day, non-SF/fantasy story about a hitman.

Richard

ABC Warriors: The Chronicles of Khaos was good too.

sheridan

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 07 August, 2016, 05:18:07 AM
Also, is this is the same universe as Judge Dredd?
I don't think anyone else answered this one, but yes, Strontium Dog is in the same universe as Judge Dredd.  Well, there's been cross-overs a couple of times - could be argued that there's some timey-wimey parallel dimension creation along the way but they're in the same universe as far as I'm concerned.  Which means we'll be due some atomic wars in Mega-City One's future in about fourteen years time.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 08 August, 2016, 01:01:07 PM
but they're in the same universe as far as I'm concerned.

John Wagner disagrees with you.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.