Main Menu

Duncan Jones wants to make a 2000 AD film

Started by Emperor, 12 March, 2010, 03:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOO-HAA

Quote from: James S on 12 March, 2010, 09:14:42 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 12 March, 2010, 04:25:49 AM
Zowie Bowie. Would that be his other name?
Thats the one. I loved moon, and he is clearly passionate about the comic. He gets my vote to direct any 2000ad film he wants.

I absolutely loved MOON. It was one of the stand-out sci-fi flicks of last year. Brilliantly directed and acted.

I think Bowie Jnr would do a great 2000AD flick.

James Stacey

not Cradlegrave .. nooo. Give him something good to work with.

Large48

'the Lawses are my precioussss'. 

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Mike Gloady

I'd quite like to see Cradlegrave adapted for the small screen.  I think it'd work. 

Come to think of it, there'd be a chance of it working even better than it did on the page even, a rareity in adaptations but I think the extra space given by a one off tv drama or short series would really make the suspense and chills work. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Emperor

He is not letting this one go, from two recent pieces:

QuoteThe filmmaker grew up digesting a literary diet of George Orwell, JG Ballard, Phillip K Dick and the comic 2000 AD, and his film influences are equally intergalactic, with Moon, specifically, referencing the likes of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Silent Running, Solaris, Alien and THX 1138.

www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/film-tv-features/interview-duncan-jones-on-the-journey-from-being-zowie-bowie-to-one-of-hollywood-s-hottest-film-directors-1.1092860

QuoteSource Code director Duncan Jones has spoken exclusively to Total Film about his passion for Judge Dredd.

The 2000 AD comic character is currently receiving the reboot treatment in Dredd, which has Pete Travis (Vantage Point) at the helm and Karl Urban under the iconic helmet.

"That's the one I keep thinking about," Jones told us. "I had such a strong idea of what I would do with it, and although I really understood what they wanted, it's so different from what I had in mind."

www.totalfilm.com/news/duncan-jones-talks-judge-dredd

Now he wanted to make a Dredd film but you'd have to imagine Dredd and Anderson are tied-up for the time being with the possibility of sequels. However, what about a Dreddworld series? A Devlin Waugh film could be a bit special.

If those stories are out then I'd have to go with the Strontium Dog suggestion, as it has a lot of the Dredd elements and a tonne of potential for great gritty stories in a low-fi sci-fi setting, which might really suit him.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kerrin

Quote from: Emperor on 27 March, 2011, 10:21:02 PMHowever, what about a Dreddworld series? A Devlin Waugh film could be a bit special.

Shimura would be pretty good as well. Lenny Zero? Lowlife?

The Simping Detective would be a bit of  stretch. Though if you could get Tom Hanks on board to play Jack Point...

JOE SOAP

When I heard his Dredd idea I was rather disappointed as it implied a hodge-podge similar to the '95 version, Fatties and Death? Please don't play to the choir, you're better than this Mr. Jones. If he really had the passion and confidence for Dredd, he wouldn't have opted for Jake Gyllenhaal, it's too much of a once-off oppurtunity. He could have done the Garland script then expressed his own ideas for a sequel if it was succesful.

I'd sooner see him do Rogue Trooper. Those internal aspects of the character and his bio-chips would be apt for his style.

exilewood

If his dad had said 'I've got an idea for an album about a guitar playing alien, oh, and with a cover version of a Ron Davies song also' ,it probably wouldn't sound super-promising either.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: exilewood on 27 March, 2011, 11:01:42 PM
If his dad had said 'I've got an idea for an album about a guitar playing alien, oh, and with a cover version of a Ron Davies song also' ,it probably wouldn't sound super-promising either.

That's like comparing apples and oranges though, he's not his father and he's not making concept albums

The Adventurer

All I can say is thank god for Duncan Jones. He's bringing the respectable science fiction film back in a big way and if 2000AD is a big influence of his, I can believe it. Interesting how passionate he seems about Dredd. But there are a lot of other things I could see him directing; Stontium Dog? Halo Jones? MACH1!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

exilewood

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 March, 2011, 11:09:33 PM

That's like comparing apples and oranges though, he's not his father and he's not making concept albums

I was just having a laugh really. All I'm saying is that "involving fatties & Death" might not sound like a great idea to some, but it's not much to go on either.

TordelBack

I clicked on this thread thinking that Duncan Jones was the guy off Dragon's Den.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: exilewood on 27 March, 2011, 11:21:15 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 March, 2011, 11:09:33 PM

I was just having a laugh really. All I'm saying is that "involving fatties & Death" might not sound like a great idea to some, but it's not much to go on either.

All I can say is when I think of the best Dredd stories to do on-screen, Death and the Fatties aren't close to the top.

Emperor

Quote from: The Adventurer on 27 March, 2011, 11:15:48 PM
All I can say is thank god for Duncan Jones. He's bringing the respectable science fiction film back in a big way and if 2000AD is a big influence of his, I can believe it. Interesting how passionate he seems about Dredd. But there are a lot of other things I could see him directing; ... Halo Jones?

Ding!

An Alan Moore film you'd actually want to watch.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Emperor

He really does love 2000 AD and now he is writing a comic too:

QuoteNrama: Both Moon and Source Code have a similar spirit and approach as a lot of sci-fi comic books. Are you a comic book fan?

Jones: I am a comic book fan. Because of where I grew up, I was much more into the UK stuff. There was a particular comic, sort of a compendium, called 2000 AD. I guess it's a little bit like Heavy Metal over here.

I was also reading a lot of US comic books, but probably not to the same extent. I guess from the US guys, I was probably into, Rom, Swamp Thing, Ghost Rider. Not the ones you might immediately think of. I was and remain a huge Conan fan.

Nrama: And it's been reported recently that you have comic book ambitions of your own — specifically, turning your unproduced script for a movie called Mute into a graphic novel, sort of like what Darren Aronofsky did with The Fountain.

Jones: That's the plan. Other than the press I've been doing for Source Code, we're having meetings, and trying to work out what's the best way to approach turning this feature script I wrote, Mute, into a graphic novel. I'm getting very excited about that, and hoping that we'll be able to sort of nail that down quite soon.

www.newsarama.com/film/duncan-jones-source-code-interview-110331.html

Seriously, someone should drop him a line and suggest speaking to Tharg about doing something for 2000AD, if they haven't already...