Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 17 October, 2013, 06:04:02 PM
Hmmm, I'm thinking I should maybe re-read it, having enjoyed the film so much.

It's a book which sets out to deliberately bore the reader, with tedious inventories of designer fashion and ironic treatises on bad music. That's not good.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 17 October, 2013, 05:59:13 PM
Quoteone weak one (Brian Coyle)

With a name like that, could he be anything else..?

I would make a reciprocal comment but I can't think of anyone ridiculous called Richmond Clements to OH WAIT

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 17 October, 2013, 10:14:30 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 17 October, 2013, 05:59:13 PM
Quoteone weak one (Brian Coyle)

With a name like that, could he be anything else..?

I would make a reciprocal comment but I can't think of anyone ridiculous called Richmond Clements to OH WAIT

ZING!

shaolin_monkey

Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos... Judges.
BRUUUAAEEWWMMMMMMMM!!!

Just finished watching Dredd again. On the iPhone this time. It's such a bloody good film.  That last bit as the bike speeds off up the Underpass is just such a great way to finish the film.

Proteus4

The Conjuring - typical haunted house type thing that telegraphs it's intentions and has no twists.  It's clunky in the extreme.  I would have loved it if i hadn't seen all of it repeatedly through the last 50 years of horror cinema.  To say it is derivative is to give derivative movies a bad name.  That said, i didn't hate it.

As for Grabbers, i loved the premise - aliens get poisoned by booze so drink loads and they can't eat ya.  Cool.  Plus, it was an alien invasion movie SET IN IRELAND. cool.  But it was a little lacklustre and had too few laughs.

As for Dredd, i think I'm in the same boat as a lot of other dudes.  I haven't rewatched a movie this much since i was 15.  It is totally mega!

Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

Theblazeuk

Watched The Three Amigos for the first time, had a lot of fun though I was very puzzled by the invisible swordsman and the singing bush. Suddenly they go off on a mystical quest or something? Anyway just a minor (and very funny) hitch in things, Galaxy Quest eventually ends up doing this schtick alot better but this was good stuff.

Currently watching The Rocketeer. Fun again in a completely different way. The rocket effects aren't bad actually! Michael Bay could learn a thing about using speed to give the impression of an effect (rather than using speed to obscure what would actually be an effect) you can't afford to properly create. Got to love the pulpyness. The nazis just appeared and I never twigged before how random they're inclusion is given their absence from the bulk of the movie.

pictsy

Alien - I started another thread about the franchise and decided to rewatch the films.  Do you remember the days when you could smoke on space ships? 

Tiplodocus

Divorcing Jack - entirely like Divorcing Shite.

Minority Report - still love it.

Open Water - okish but it cheats on the "true" bit.

Shaun of the dead - less fun than I remember but Tiny Tips liked it.

Bourne Identity - more fun than I remember.

Gavin and Stacey Series 1 - more like Gavin and shite. Really gentle stuff. I don't see where the rave reviews came from.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Lensflare the Motion Picture Super 8.  What a crying shame.  The first half of this film is an interesting Senor Spielbergo pastiche about small-town teenagers making a zombie flick, well-acted and while perhaps lacking the convincing detailing of the original material pretty well-observed all the same, with an unsettling mystery, a puppy-love triangle and a dead good train crash. If it had continued in this vein, a sort of Stand By Me meets The Tommyknockers, it would have been great: I wanted to see the kids' movie finished!

Sadly, the second half is a disjointed and disappointing version of every stranded-alien movie ever made, with moronic military, wildly see-sawing tone and some profoundly rubbish characterless CGI at the heart of it - Cloverfield meets ET by way of Invaders from Mars and The X-Files, with none of the charm or freshness of any of them.  It's almost like JJA hasn't quite learnt his craft yet, he has a lot of the moves down pat, but just can't seem to pull them together into a convincing routine, and he has no feel whatsoever for a satisfying SF plot.  Made for deeply frustrating watching.

And don't get me started on the fecking lens-flare, it was like a hideously exaggerated spoof of an Abrams film, mindlessly and pointlessly blocking out a quarter of the screen in every second frame. 

JOE SOAP

All Jar Jar Abrams needs is a good script and pointed in the direction of a readied set. After the all-time nadir of the Spock intervention amongst a cosmic-sea of wtfs during Into Darkness, I'm not sure he always has the right people around him.

pictsy

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 October, 2013, 05:43:06 PM
And don't get me started on the fecking lens-flare, it was like a hideously exaggerated spoof of an Abrams film, mindlessly and pointlessly blocking out a quarter of the screen in every second frame.

Abrams is spoofing his own films?

Abrams as writer and director is what has expunged me of any desire to watch Super 8.  I guess it could be worse.  It could be written by Damon Lindelof.

sheldipez

JJ on lense flair; 

" "I know I get a lot of grief for that, but I'll tell you, there are times when I'm working on a shot, I think, 'Oh this would be really cool... with a lens flare.' But I know it's too much, and I apologize. I'm so aware of it now." Abrams said some of that awareness even came from his wife saying, "I was showing my wife an early cut of Star Trek Into Darkness and there was this one scene where she was literally like, 'I just can't see what's going on. I don't understand what that is.' I was like, 'Yeah, I went too nuts on this.'" "

Though Super 8 was a great film IMO ;D

TordelBack

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to not getting murdered by an ageing Star Wars fan.

Meanwhile, Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon.  There are no words.

Professor Bear

Sure there are: shite, dreadful, awful, terrible, bullshit, bad, crap, garbage, lousy, atrocious, crummy, rotten - and so on, but I get your general point.  Being asked to come up with a word for how bad Dark of the Moon is is a bit like being asked to tell a joke: there's just too many to pull one out right there on the spot.

JudgeE1M1RT

I watched Taxi Driver again. Great flick.

Been trying to get my hands on Requiem For A Dream for a bit now, seems like an interesting movie.