Main Menu

Prog 1797 - Chariot of Ire!

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 August, 2012, 11:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

A solid if not outstanding Dredd aside we're as we were really.

Lenny Zero does this thing as the job kicks off, hi-octane but nowt new. In fact everything seems fast paced this Prog. Aquila (still have silly niggles about facts being wrong, which makes no sense given the premise - sigh such is they way of my head) and sets up a thrilling conclusion. Even a change of artist can't kill Ichabod's momentum. Antonio Fuso does a passible impression of the missing Mr Reardon (I assume this is the reason for the delay in the series?) but lack a little of the flair and ability to capture the scale of things, still good job.

A new 3riller has a great opening, packing a heck of a lot in what on the surface looks like a typical action number. Really enjoyed this one, great stuff.

Overall while the line-up for 1800 is very tempting I'm quite happy with the appetizer thank you very much.

Darren Stephens

Brilliant cover that just explodes off the page. Top stuff.

Dredd: Nice one-off from Micheal Carroll and Smudge. Not amazing, but entertaining enough, with quite a funny final panel...

3Riller: Cracking opener with some top art from  Jon Davis-Hunt. Love the design work, especially. Giant mechs vs oversized aliens is always OK in my book (or prog.)

Aquila: Love it. Gritty and gruesome in both story and art. Superb stuff! The highlight of a strong weekly line-up.

Ichabod: To my shame, I didn't even spot the change of artist! Loving this series, though.

Len Zero: Diggle really delivers his "shot glass of rocket fuel" idea with this series. Likewise, the Willsher droid is firing on all cylinders. Perfect comics. Perfect 2000AD.  :D

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Pete Wells

Aye, a solid prog.

Cover - great image but a tad dark? The composition is absolutely GREAT though, I love how everything is flying out towards the reader. Cool!

Dredd - a solid little one off, that Lefine woman is a bit of a cow, isn't she? Two rotten ladies in a row, is Mike the new Pat?  :lol:

3Rillers - was excellent! This is what Detonator X should have been. Jon Davis-Hunt is definitely one of my favourite artists and his work is incredible here. Amazing designs throughout.

Aquila - yet another friggin' horrible episode! Both creators are firing on all calendars here, brilliant!

TGJOIAATDLIHW - Yeah, that Antonio guy has done an admirable job of replacing Dom, perhaps that's testament to Peter Doherty's colours? This is roaring along nicely, I love how Ichabod seems to have redeamed himself (slightly) but is still a total badass.  In that recent interview did Rob Williams say its going to be a three book tale?

Lenny - prog highlight yet again for me. I LOVE Lenny's schemes and Willsher's artwork is sublime. THAT aphrodisiac panel is disgraceful - judge blurt, blowjobs and man love? Call the Daily Mail! On a side note, wasn't it rumoured that the US army had made such a love weapon to be used in battle?

I was surprised at Kramer's reaction, she's always been highly strung but I wonder if her actions this week lead to her undoing? A joy, can't wait to see Lenny, Shuggy and Max in action next week!

A strong old prog but I'm chomping at the bit for Prog 1800!

JUDGE BURNS

prog just arrived now at 1.30 pm saturday.

Great cover and a very good Dredd one off story.

Dont care much for Ichabod . Still a bit confused about it all. Will read it thru in its entiity when finished.

Top thrill again is Lenny Zero. The art by Ben Wilsher is just fantastic.

Proudhuff

yet another cracking prog!!
Every story racing along and not a nag to be seen.
Dredd is a nice little one off post DoC,
Triller; big stompie robots, what's not to like?
Awequilla: deamon Romans ditto
Iccy bod wonderfully bonkers
Blake's Seven: loving this rocket fuel, Mary Seacole Block next to Enoch Powell Block, there's a block war waiting to happen, this brings a whole new meaning to Dirty Judges!!!
DDT did a job on me

Grant Goggans

What is this 3riller called, and who is the writer?

Pete Wells

It's called 15 and is written by Tom Taylor.

Dark Jimbo

Dredd - Pretty good stuff, with a chucklesome Westinghouse reference, although I still feel as though I'm waiting for the first of the 'proper' DoC follow-up tales. One criticism - and purely a personal opinion - is that Caroll's Dredd, like Rennie and Ennis', always seems to be trying too hard to play up to his hard-man persona; the supporting cast of Judges are forever doing or saying stupid things to make Dredd look good by contrast, which cheapens things all round. Wagner and Ewing Dredd impresses because he doesn't try to impress the reader; the legend is all implied in his sheer sense of precence, and their Judges are a credible force that aren't relegated to stooges.

15 - Impressive so far. I don't mind saying that I was fairly sniffy of J D Hunt when he first appeared, but boy oh boy has he come on in leaps and bounds since then! Great sense if scale in the robot panels, and incidentally a cracking 'bot design.

Aquila - Great stuff. The art is utterly gorgeous. My only gripe, borne of my enjoyment, is that it seems to be moving much too fast! I hope the Boudicea/Iceni stuff isn't all done and dusted by the end of this story - it's got legs, and it'd be great to see him stick with them at least as far as the Battle of Watling Street.

Ichabod - I don't know who art fella is, but I like his stuff. Story continues to be funny and thrilling.

Lenny Zero - Best episode yet. The block names are very clever and well designed and the action fair zips along.
@jamesfeistdraws

I, Cosh

Quote from: Pete Wells on 18 August, 2012, 05:07:00 PM
Really? As I didn't get a Prog today, I'm intrigued to see if this is some weird, metatextual return to Tharg's emerald bosom for Mike Carey.
We never really die.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: The Cosh on 19 August, 2012, 12:09:45 AM
Really? As I didn't get a Prog today, I'm intrigued to see if this is some weird, metatextual return to Tharg's emerald bosom for Mike Carey.

You ain't the ONLY one to think of that!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Steve Green

Good to see the return of Ratfink in the thrills of the future.

It's going to be written by Alan Grant rather than Wagner, might be a good fit for him based on the text stories in the Meg and that Dredd story with the tree.

Tiernen Trevallion on art, which looks perfect...

JUDGE BURNS

Just re-read the prog again today and noticed in Lenny Zero that oneof the blocks is named MARY TAMM Block. A wee nod to the late actress from Doctor Who. Nice one.

Pioneer

radiator

The son of Fink Angel - he appeared in the story Ratfink, by john Wagner and Peter Doherty, which ran in the Megazine a few years ago.

There is a new Ratfink story starting in next months meg, though this time written by Alan Grant. The original story is being collected with the same issue.

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Cosh on 19 August, 2012, 12:09:45 AM

.. or it could be Tom Taylor

Cracking prog - when Ichabod is the least favourite thrill and it's so bloody good, it's hard to know what to say about the rest, so Ill just say WOW.

I would agree about toning down the incompetent judges in Dredd though.