Main Menu

Strontium Dog - Question

Started by Rogue Judge, 07 August, 2016, 05:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Does Max have eyes under there? Is the skin a kind of membrane that he sees through, or does he have some kind of sensory pits instead? (I appreciate there's no actual answer to this - just thinking aloud.)

Definitely one of the great 2000AD villains though, and one of the more successful ones.

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 January, 2017, 01:19:12 PM
... (the reference) for Bubba (was) a bloke whose bubblegum bubble has just burst back all over his face

Wagner and Grant wanted Middenface's mutation to be beer cans sticking out of his head *.

I like the disparity between how Bubba acts and how he looks. He's a sneering sadist, but the expression we glimpse through his 5p Tesco carrier bag is haunted, tortured, and despairing. Like this, crossed with this.

Broken bottles would have made more sense, and a jaggy heid has been a successful look for other tearaways.

Steve Green

Uh, I thought it was broken glass?

At least that's what John told me - and it matches with the description of Middenface in the Kreeler conspiracy.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 January, 2017, 05:52:09 PM
I thought it was broken glass?

Like I said, that would make more sense. I'm sure you're right - I'll try and remember where I read the can thing.

Leigh S

Quote from: Frank on 17 January, 2017, 06:31:16 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 17 January, 2017, 05:52:09 PM
I thought it was broken glass?

Like I said, that would make more sense. I'm sure you're right - I'll try and remember where I read the can thing.

y understanding was that it was general rubbish - so both broken glass and beer cans would fit that - as in a "midden heap"of domestic waste. Broken beer bottles for the compromise?

Rogue Judge

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 January, 2017, 06:42:49 AM
Glad to hear you enjoyed it, chum!

Bubba's mask-like face is his mutation, and I've always assumed it was meant to look like bubblegum - 'Hubba Bubba' was a popular brand of same on this side of the water.

Don't think Johnny has a uniform (other than his badge), so what he wears is what he wants to wear. Ezquerra explains the preference for stripey tops as echoing the markings of a dangerous animal, like a tiger or a wasp (which I presume was just meant to be taken at face value, rather than any additional cultural connotation).

Its interesting that is was indeed Max Bubbas face, I was hoping Alpha was going to tear his mask off at some point. But I now get it, he has a bubblegum face like Hubba Bubba gum - I cant believe I missed that!  I'll have to add this to the "Things that went over your head" thread. If colored, I wonder if he would be purple??

Regarding his costume, I like it quite a bit, I prefer the shirt without the stripes personally. Also, Im still not a huge fan of his helmet at this point - it must be a look he goes for. But seeing that he has a camera at the tip to record the killing of his bounties makes sense.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 January, 2017, 11:38:08 AM
I was so jealous when you said that you'd be reading these stories for the first time - they're classics, glad you enjoyed them!

I always thought Bubba's head was wrapped in some kind of transparent bag or mask from the crease-lines on his face.

Yes, I realize how lucky I am to be reading these for the first time  :D Although these would have been great to grow up with, discovering them now (as well as Dredd, Rogue etc.) has been a real treat. And I like that I can binge read and not have to wait a week between each Prog!

Interesting facts about Middenface McNulty as well. He is definitely a favorite character and I am hoping he sticks around. I often can't understand what he is saying, but I think that is suppose to be the point (or maybe I just cant read his accent well because I don't hear it often). I can read enough to get gist.

sheridan

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 18 January, 2017, 05:54:34 AM
Glad to hear you enjoyed it, chum!

Bubba's mask-like face is his mutation, and I've always assumed it was meant to look like bubblegum - 'Hubba Bubba' was a popular brand of same on this side of the water.

Its interesting that is was indeed Max Bubbas face, I was hoping Alpha was going to tear his mask off at some point. But I now get it, he has a bubblegum face like Hubba Bubba gum - I cant believe I missed that!  I'll have to add this to the "Things that went over your head" thread. If colored, I wonder if he would be purple??

Other flavours are available (it took a while off but was relaunched).

Interestingly there's 'Max' version:

Jim_Campbell

I've mentioned this before, but I have a copy of Wagner/Grant's script for episode 1 of The Ragnarok Job, courtesy of John himself, who very kindly took the time to answer a letter from a sixteen-year old fan about how one became a comic writer with some excellent advice and several example scripts. There was photocopied reference at the back for Carlos, with the bandaged traffic warden from Threads as the basis for Impetigo Jones, and a shot of someone's face with a massive Hubba Bubba bubble collapsing over their face for Max Bubba.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 January, 2017, 01:19:12 PM
The forum's own Jim Campbell has a copy of the scripts where Bubba first appears, and in the back are photocopied reference pics for Carlos - the one for Bubba being a bloke whose bubblegum bubble has just burst back all over his face.

Told you so!  ;)
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 January, 2017, 02:42:26 PM
There was photocopied reference at the back for Carlos, with the bandaged traffic warden from Threads as the basis for Impetigo Jones, and a shot of someone's face with a massive Hubba Bubba bubble collapsing over their face for Max Bubba.

This is what I love about this forum - there is no where else you can get this detailed of an explanation. Everyone here always adds a lot of value to each discussion! Thanks for the explanation - Very interesting, and incredible that you have it in your possession.

I like to think that Max Bubba was run through Resyk and processed into bubble gum. Anytime Alpha wants to relive the the sweet taste of revenge, he can just pop in a piece and chew.

Dash Decent

Mmm.. Hubba Bubba bubble gum!  Now available in strawberry, cola, grape and Soylent Green.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Smith

I finished Strontium Dogs(by the way of Meg reprints).It was fun to see Gronk kick some ass,but thats kinda it.

glassstanley

There's a whole run by Pete Hogan that hasn't made it into the floppies (yet?). No idea why.