Main Menu

Mega(zin) marathon

Started by Smith, 09 January, 2017, 06:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

For a while now,I have been something of a casual reader of both 2000AD and Megazine,so I thought to fill in some blanks and read the Judge Dredd Megazine from the start.Or at least try to.
Some 10 issues in and its a weird mix of things i read,didn't read and things I forgotten.
There is ofc,America,its a bit weird reading it in pieces.Other Dredd stories so far,Midnites Children and Black Widow,haven't really impressed me.
I liked Beyond Our Kenny,and I should really find the first part of it.Young Death,I haven't read it till now,and it has been pretty good so far.
Al's baby,another classic.Armitage is just starting,yet another one I liked.
I dont have a lot to comment on Red Razors,but Yeowells artwork looks pretty good.So there is that.

Frank

Quote from: Smith on 09 January, 2017, 06:04:55 PM
America,its a bit weird reading it in pieces.Other Dredd stories so far,Midnites Children and Black Widow,haven't really impressed me. I liked Beyond Our Kenny,and I should really find the first part of it.Young Death,I haven't read it till now,and it has been pretty good so far. Al's baby,another classic.Armitage is just starting,yet another one I liked. I dont have a lot to comment on Red Razors,but Yeowells artwork looks pretty good.

Bathed in the warm afterglow of Necropolis, I thought the first 10-12 issues of the Megazine were among the best comics I'd ever read*. Turns out that was the Wagner stories; the other strips were just as meh as Crisis, Revolver, and post-prog-700 2000ad.

* I used to plug school any Thursday afternoon the early Megazine and 2000ad arrived together, to soak up Tharg's wares as if they were the word of god. A couple of years later, I was wondering whether I should chuck both comics.

Rogue Judge

I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on Young Death and Al's Baby - two books I keep considering purchasing but have never read.

AlexF

I've long wondered if anyone would be bold enough to do a Prog Slog equivalent on the Megazine. In its first decade or so, it never reached the consistency of the Prog, depsite always having at least one essential story (turns out one is not enough in an anthology). But, you know, that only means thinking about it and writing about it can be all the more diverting.

But I'm not the sucker to do it!

Smith

Having finished Young Death,I have to say its just weird.After Necropolis Judge Death is living with miss Gunderson and telling his origin story to a journalist.And I cant say does that subtract from his horror or adds to it.I wouldnt say its really essential,but its worth the time.
Al's baby is a great comedy,and I do recommend it.This is just the first story.Its sequel was okay,but its kinda same thing all over again.Still,get the whole thing if you can.
As a whole,so far,Meg has been a bit of mixed bag.
AlexF,its a tough job,but somebodys got to do it.

CalHab

Young Death's tone veers wildly between horror and slapstick/comedy. In other words it's perfect for Wagner and Doherty. Definitely worth a read.

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 10 January, 2017, 10:35:04 AM
I've long wondered if anyone would be bold enough to do a Prog Slog equivalent on the Megazine. In its first decade or so, it never reached the consistency of the Prog, depsite always having at least one essential story (turns out one is not enough in an anthology). But, you know, that only means thinking about it and writing about it can be all the more diverting.

But I'm not the sucker to do it!

My (glacial) prog slog will encompass everything I have from the House of Tharg, including Starlord, Tornado, Diceman, annuals, specials and the Meg.

Smith

A small update,up to issue #15,there is Raptaur,another story I forgot.I don't think I lost much there.
One episode of Heavy metal Dredd,that was bizarre.Al's baby and Red Razors are over,so is Armitage.But Middenface McNulty and Brit-Cit Babes are starting.Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad one.  :-\

sheridan

Quote from: Smith on 10 January, 2017, 02:43:11 PM
A small update,up to issue #15,there is Raptaur,another story I forgot.I don't think I lost much there.
One episode of Heavy metal Dredd,that was bizarre.Al's baby and Red Razors are over,so is Armitage.But Middenface McNulty and Brit-Cit Babes are starting.Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad one.  :-\

Long time since I read them, but I seem to remember McNulty was enjoyable while the best thing about BCB was the cover art (by Bolland).

Smith

Aaaand done with the first volume.Mcnulty was okay,but Mcree's artwork is pretty rough.Still,him teaming up with Max Normal is pretty cool
I read BCB in a later reprint,it still doesnt really evoke any emotions.Its just there.
Straightjacket Fits is over.That great.
-If somebody bites off a head of a batglider,the first place to look is Ozzy Osbourne block.
There is a mutant turtle named Kevin Eastman.
Obviously,humor wasnt a stong side of Dredds stories of the time.
And he also advertised Sega Mega Drive.That brings back some memories. :)
RR had Spooky Doo gang.I guess thats funny in stupid way.

Frank

Quote from: Smith on 10 January, 2017, 05:43:58 PM
Mcnulty was okay,but Mcree's artwork is pretty rough ...
I read BCB in a later reprint, it still doesnt really evoke any emotions. Its just there.

John McRea told Michael Molcher (Megazine 269) that the work he turned in on Wan Man And His Dug got him blacklisted from the Megazine (having already found himself on the wrong side of Tharg).

I was relieved to discover Wagner found Brit-Cit Babes as boring to write as it was to read.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: CalHab on 10 January, 2017, 12:11:36 PM
Young Death's tone veers wildly between horror and slapstick/comedy. In other words it's perfect for Wagner and Doherty. Definitely worth a read.

Sounds like everything I want in a Dredd comic. Will definitely be picking it up. Thanks for reviewing Smith. Sounds like Al's Baby is a no brainer as well.

Smith

@Frank,I can believe that.
Btw,I dont think we will see McNulty for a while,in the Megazine at least.
I forgot to mention Chopper,but it wasnt really memorable.A lot of people(Garth Ennis included) claim it was a mistake bringing Chopper back after Song of the Surfer,and its really hard to argue with that.

Smith

Into volume 2 and things don't really look any better.
Texas city sting was a fun Dredd story,then its Judgment Day,which was a crossover with 2000AD,so Meg only has a few pieces.Moving on,we have Devlin Waughn Swimming in blood,a lot of people will hate me for saying this,but its a mediocre action movie plot with an untypical protagonist.Which is its one saving grace.
Armageddon:The Bad Man I assume this was an attempt to cash in on Terminator(and Wolverine)?There is really not a lot to it.And we have Soul Sisters,and for the lack of a better term,its was crap.
Im starting to miss Red Razors. :|

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Smith on 12 January, 2017, 04:35:36 PM
Armageddon:The Bad Man I assume this was an attempt to cash in on Terminator(and Wolverine)?There is really not a lot to it.

Supposedly it was planned to gradually become an origin of sorts for the Dreddworld, and sneakily get Grant and Ezquerra the rights to Dredd by the backdoor. Not that that makes it much more enjoyable to read!
@jamesfeistdraws