Main Menu

Pat Mill's unsung heroes of 2000AD

Started by rogue69, 10 March, 2017, 08:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Pat Mills has done this interesting article on who he thinks are the 10 unsung heroes of 2000AD & why. Some you won't be surprised at but there is a couple names that you may not of heard off

http://www.millsverse.com/10-of-the-best-celebrating-some-of-2000ads-unsung-heroes/

Jim_Campbell

*sigh* A useful and interesting list, which quickly descends into another "Why I was right and everyone else was wrong" polemic from Pat.

Mildly amusing that Pat derides the comic for "disappearing up its own arse" whilst lauding the work of his collaborator Tony Skinner, when some of that Mills/Skinner material epitomised message-over-story stuff that made the prog such a turgid slog through great swathes of the 90s.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 March, 2017, 08:57:36 AM
*sigh* A useful and interesting list, which quickly descends into another "Why I was right and everyone else was wrong" polemic from Pat.

That was a bit of a 'groan' moment for me too. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Magnetica

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 March, 2017, 08:57:36 AM
Mildly amusing that Pat derides the comic for "disappearing up its own arse" whilst lauding the work of his collaborator Tony Skinner, when some of that Mills/Skinner material epitomised message-over-story stuff that made the prog such a turgid slog through great swathes of the 90s.

That was exactly why I stopped reading Crisis. Especially because of 3rd World War. And New Statesman was almost as bad. Strangely I liked Finn in 2000AD.

IndigoPrime

Yep. Some interesting takes here, but the Skinner bit almost gave me whiplash.

Smith

credo

JayzusB.Christ

Blaming the loss of younger readers on editors trying to commission 'weird' stories to impress the NME is a new one on me. Maybe he's talking about Hewligan's Haircut, Time Flies etc? Because before them there was The Dead, Sooner or Later and Zenith, all of which were weird but outstanding.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

CalHab

At what point did David Bishop become persona non grata with Pat Mills? It's a bit weird that he has this entirely one-sided vendetta against the man. Is this all because of TPO?

Otherwise, an interesting and typically idiosyncratic article.

Magnetica

I thought it odd people where asking Pat to sign TPO at the 40th.

But he seemed happy to do so. In an atmosphere of its all 2000AD I guess.

Personally I played it safe and got him to sign Slaine and ABC Warriors.

Satanist

I would love a new GFD scripted Fiends story.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

dweezil2

Quote from: Satanist on 10 March, 2017, 12:53:13 PM

Me too!

A fascinating read and I completely agree with his point on John Hicklenton and his treatment from certain readers.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Bolt-01

If you want to read a Fiends story- while not being by the legendary GFD the latest Zarjaz has a superb story inside...

Cover by the awesome Tiernan Trevallion and available from The one and only FQP webshop

sheridan

Quote from: dweezil2 on 10 March, 2017, 12:57:02 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 10 March, 2017, 12:53:13 PM

Me too!
Me three!
A fascinating read and I completely agree with his point on John Hicklenton and his treatment from certain readers.
I seem to recall it took a while for John's art style to grow on me, but I think I'd gotten it by the end of The Two Torquemada's, and I absolutely love Fear Teachers.  I detected a bit of Fear Teachers (story/theme-wise) in the latest Sláine.

Satanist

I never knew there was a backlash against Johns art as even in my youth I thought "That's stuff is fucked up, but in a good way".
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?